Monday, October 8, 2012

I Have a Two Year Old

 
 
 

I was always scared of the toddler years.  People relished in telling me their horror stories of public meltdowns, potty training accidents, and general impossibleness (I know that's not a real word, but I like it). I was sure that the time Kylie turned two she would grow two heads and go all crazy on me. 

It's not true, y'all.  Well, yes, we have had some temper tantrums in the grocery store when there were no race car carts left, the time she pooped in the bath tub instead of the toilet, and times when she refuses to eat anything but plain white bread and strawberries, but we are not only surviving it, we are enjoying it.  It's not as bad as we thought.

I've found that I love her being two.  Ky's so much more independent now, and learns so quickly.  It's absolutely amazing how fast she picks up on new things.  Yesterday, she "read" Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? to one of her baby dolls.  I mean, obviously she doesn't actually read the words yet, but she knew all of the animals and their colors and asked each one what they saw.  And when she got to the page with the teacher on it, she said, "Mama, you teacher!" (I'm a teacher at the daycare she attends).  I mean, how neat is that?

Ky has turned into quite the little helper.  She gets mad if I don't let her help carry in groceries, and always makes me give her at least two bags.  She will walk one of the dogs for me when I take them outside to go potty.  Doing the dishes is her favorite inside chore, and she also helps me weed and water our little, fall garden.  

She sings to herself all the time.  When she plays with her toys, in the car, reading books, taking baths, at chapel time at daycare.  She loves the B-I-B-L-E song, the Little White Box, Jesus Loves Me, Five Little Monkeys, and the Raindrop and Snowflake songs. 

Perhaps the scariest part of the toddler hood is potty training.  There are so many options, and so much different advice we got from everyone.  While we were living with my sister in law Kylie was in pull ups and she might go potty once or twice a day.  When we moved into our house in July, I started using her cloth diapers again since now we were able to wash them with hot water.  She slowly started to go potty more and more until the last week or so she would stay dry all day or maybe have one accident.  Over this past weekend she did great, on Saturday we did a bunch of running around and she stayed dry the whole time.  So today is her first day completely in her big girl underwear.  So scary but so great at the same time!  I'll have to write another post just about how we potty trained.



Ky still adores her baby cousin, Kaid, who is six weeks old now.  She is super protective of him and doesn't like anyone she doesn't know well to be near him.  She helps with diaper changes and loves sitting next to him in the car.  The only time she seems to get jealous of him is later in the evening and I'm holding him when he is crying, then she wants to be held too. 

So I'm enjoying the terrible two's so far.  I know as she gets older Kylie will only get more and more opinionated, but I am in awe of all that she does and how she thinks.

1 comment:

  1. She's so cute! Potty training seems like an impossible task to me!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Some Love