Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Poop

luckily she's cute


Kylie started going pee in the potty at about 19 months.  Not reliably, but at least once a day.  By 25 months she was in underwear and maybe only peed her pants once a week.  Now, not at all.  She even stays dry at nap time and throughout the night.

Poop is an entirely different matter.  Kylie is a little girl with an iron will.  An amazingly stubborn iron will.  With pee she allowed us to bribe her with stickers and treats and praise.  For the last 9 months she has refused to poop in the potty. Once in a blue moon she would go in the potty, but would get uncomfortable when we showered her with praise and preferred to go about her business as usual without any fuss.  When it was time to poop she would go and hide.  At home, in her room, and at daycare, behind the small hill (more like dirt mound that the slides are sunken into) on the playground.  So I knew that she knew that she needed to go.

We tried bribing her with stickers, candy, and special outings.  Nothing.  We tried having her sit out after going in her pants.  Nope. We constantly explained how big girls go poop in the potty and only babies poop in their pants.  Nada.

To make matters worse (to me at least), one of the little girls in my daycare class basically potty trained herself and was in underwear by 22 months.  Peeing and pooping in the potty.  And here I am with my 2 1/2 old who hides behind things to poop in her pants.  Insert sad face here.

A couple weeks ago, I finally gave up.  I was tired of constantly worrying and fretting over my child's bowel movements.  When she had an accident we didn't make a big deal about it.  We'd tell her that it was okay and to make sure she told us next time she had to go and we would sit on they potty.

And lo and behold on Saturday she told me she had to go potty and I took her to the bathroom and sat her down on the toilet.  And she pooped.  Today at daycare she told her teacher she had to go, and even waited for one of the helpers to come get her to take her to the bathroom.  And then she pooped in the potty again.  I think she's finally getting it.  Hallelujah.

It's times like this that I feel horribly inadequate at being a parent.  I got too caught up in the whole "mommy race" and comparing my kid with others.  And she's not like the others.  Not at all.  She's wonderfully unique and stubbornly independent.  I learned that I have to let her do things in her own way and on her own time.  And she will grow and learn and poop in the potty.  Because in the end, all of our kids do.

2 comments:

  1. It's easy to get caught up in the "race to potty train". Especially if you have a girl who was peeing in the potty at 19 months! Two of my 3 kids ended up having trouble learning to poop in the potty at first too! It can be very frustrating! But, like you said... they all get it eventually. And when it's in hind-sight it really doesn't feel like it took very long! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And now she has totally got the hang of it, and I don't know what I was stressing about. We just sat back and let her do her thing. I just have to take a deep breath and remember that my kid is like no one else's and she's going to do things when she is darn well ready to!

      Delete

Leave Some Love