Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Little Insecurity on My Part


I've never been huge on appearance.  Through middle school and high school I was strictly a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal.  Hell, I didn't even start wearing make up until my senior year of high school and I only wore foundation because of how self conscious I was of my shiny, red, acne prone face.  I rarely had my hair out of a ponytail, and I didn't highlight my hair until right before senior prom.

I wear make up more now and all, but I feel like I got such a late start on things.  I'm not very good at applying it and I don't know.  I never feel, done.  Polished.  Put together.  I want to feel like that.  Pinterest is helping me with ideas on make up, clothes, and hair.  I love looking through things, but I have such a hard time actually applying it to myself.  Whether it be wearing a new dress or winged eyeliner, I just kinda feel left out.  Like I did in high school.  I wanted to be a part of the popular crowd, but I never had the clothes or attitude to fit in.  I didn't know how, and sure didn't have the confidence to try.

I have a hard time seeing myself as beautiful.  My mama says I am, but doesn't every mom think their daughter is beautiful?  It makes me a little better when my husband tells me that, since he chose me to be his wife and the mother of his child.  But I'm still insecure.  And I don't want to be.  I don't want Kylie to be either when she grows up.  I want to be a strong, confident, beautiful woman that she can look up to. 

I feel guilty if I spend any money on beauty products or new clothes.  Like that could have gone to a bill or into savings.  While I know spending $30 or $40 once a month on a new shirt or foundation won't break the bank, I have a hard time justifying it.  Like am I really worth this or am I just wasting my time?  I'm never going to look like those mom's who pick up their kids from the daycare in cute outfits every single day with hair, make up, and nails done.  Who am I kidding?

But I want to be.  So very badly.  I want to be the mom who is still pretty and whose foundation hasn't worn off by one in the afternoon and wears cute blouses instead of plain v neck t-shirts every single day.  Who straightens their hair.  Has nail polish that isn't chipped most of the way off.  I want to feel pretty and comfortable with myself.  I know that it can be done, but it just seems like such an unattainable goal.  So far away, out of my grasp.

2 comments:

  1. I can realllly relate to this post. But unlike you I didn't even GO to prom. Trust me that made me feel even uglier.

    I'm not doing much better in life now. Even my work clothes are purchased at Goodwill and my students say I should go on the show "What not to wear". Since I'm staying at home for 2 years, everyday I wear a T-shirt and athletic pants. My mom cuts my hair because I don't see the point to go to a salon to pay money for them to cut straight. What is makeup?

    So yeah, I can relate. But I don't really want to be the "all-put-together" mom either. It wouldn't really be me. Plus it would involve shopping and I have shopping phobia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell Brooke, you're cuter than cute. I don't know who's good at applying make-up. Except her. Watch a couple of these videos:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEFJBjwQJkg&feature=relmfu

      Delete

Leave Some Love